BASELINE TEST= first time test is done
FOLLOW-UP = done about 60 days later while on supplements given from BASELINE results.
- Read back of form completely ahead of time. Pay close attention to the instructions as to what foods to avoid.
- Pick a day that will be easy to take the time to do the saliva collection. If a day is unusually stressful, your cortisol levels will be abnormally high. It is best not to do it on a Saturday since there is no Fed Ex on Sundays.
- If you’ve had a hormone shot, such as cortisone for pain or progesterone shot, wait 2 weeks-3 weeks to do the test. If you are using hydrocortisone cream, stop using the cream for 4 weeks before taking the test. Birth control pills hormone replacement- no affect asi test.
- If taking dhea or adaptogens- BASELINE TEST: Off both 7-10 days. For FOLLOW- UP TEST: Dhea: don’t take that day. Adaptogen formulas: take after sample collection.
- To make collecting saliva easier, you may put a few drops of lemon juice in your mouth. Wait a few minutes, then rinse mouth with very cold water. Imagining biting into a lemon helps too. Sugarless gum helps, too. Xylitol sweetened is best. Chew gum, wait a few minutes, rinse mouth with cold water. Sometimes it may take up to 10 minutes to fill the tube ¾ full.
- Please discuss with me any other medications or supplements you’re taking, as some may affect the test. Some antihistamines affect the test and should not be taken for 3 days.
- FOLLOW UP TEST ONLY: discuss with me first. Fill the morning tube before eating. Then approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes before the noon tube, have a high carbohydrate meal. Normally this is not how I advise patients to eat. However, we are testing insulin levels and your body’s ability to respond to carbohydrates. DiagnosTechs recommends the following: “To obtain the most meaningful results, instruct patient to eat 50g of carbohydrate or what is equivalent to 200 calories about 45-90 minutes before noon sample collection. Examples: 2 slices of white bread and 1 cup of orange juice OR 1 cup of cooked oatmeal and 1 cup of orange juice OR 2 ounces of corn flakes snack.”
- Pay the lab the fee for your test by filling in the front of the form (# 2 UNDER Required Billing Information). The receptionist will let you know the exact amount.
- Mail to address on label. 2day air Fed Ex. Only the post office can deliver to a post office box and they do not guarantee the delivery time.
- They send me the results in 7-10 business days. I’ll analyze the results, write a report then email it to you. Then we can set up a time to discuss it and the recommended protocols.